Probiotics for The Earth
As an innovative part of the circular economy, Recovered Carbon creates soil based, non-forest, carbon credits using a unique fungal based matrix. By offering highly efficient and scalable projects, we help governments and corporations transition to Net Zero by 2050.
Recovered Carbon – A Nature Based Solution
Towards Net Zero 2050
Both governments and companies alike are needing to find new and inventive ways to bring down their C02 emissions to comply with EU and international obligations. Recovered Carbon offers a nature based, rigorously studied, permanent, additional, verifiable and measurable solution by creating a fungal dominant soil matrix to produce robust carbon capture far above baseline. Recovered Carbon uses soil based carbon sequestration with a special fungal based inoculant to capture to 10.7mt CO2/ha/yr and nitrogen capture to 869.4k N/ha/yr using a low cost and scalable technology.
- Have No Double Use
- Avoid Social and Environmental Harm
As general a rule, when you increase the carbon mass of soil, you also increase respiration. Studies have shown that the technology used by Recovered Carbon increases soil carbon mass by 18x and decreases soil respiration by 4x over baseline, which levels off after 4 years.
Innovation in Terrestrial Carbon Sequestration
Peat Bog Restoration
One of the biggest challenges facing peat bog restoration is the slow regrowth of moss and other vegetation so vital in the functioning of a healthy bog. Recovered Carbon’s inoculation can speed up the plant growth, stop carbon emissions and kick start the bog’s natural carbon sequestration function without the need for any soil amendments. Studies have shown that within 1 year of application, biomass production increases 3-4x over baseline by increasing the photosynthetic capacity of the soil and thus increasing the plant’s ability to absorb and utilize soil nutrients.
Recovered Carbon – Robust, Practical and Cost Effective
Benefits from Recovered Carbon
Governments can realize these benefits from Recovered Carbon:
- Domestic carbon credits – Citizens prefer carbon offsets originating in their own country and starting in 2021 the EU will exclude international carbon credits.
- Converts damaged and unused land (adding Additionality) into a national resource to help meet transition obligations.
- By decreasing the cost of transition, jobs in vulnerable sectors can be saved.
- Leverage under utilized lands and bogs for carbon sequestration to reach climate change obligations.
- Turn government owned, net emitting, damaged peat bogs back into robust, measurable and verifiable carbon sinks.
Companies can realize these benefits from Recovered Carbon:
- Recovered Carbon offers non-forest based carbon offsets, Gold Standard and VCS certification means low risk, high impact .
- High quality, domestic carbon offsets give flexibility in regulatory implementation.
- Offset risk from present and future climate regulations with high quality carbon credits that meet the standards of Additionality, Permanence, Measurability and Verification.
- Turn underutilized company owned land into carbon offsets that help the company with transition to net zero while providing additional value through a strong supportive message to the community.
- High quality domestic carbon credits strengthen community identity and further the company’s social responsibility message, adding additional value.
- Offset risk from present and future climate regulations with high quality carbon credits that meet the standards of Additionality, Measurability and Verification.
Agricultural benefits from Recovered Carbon:
- Increase yield. By increasing the photosynthetic capacity of the soil and thus increasing the plant’s ability to absorb nutrients, there is a 3-4x increase in dry biomass produced per square meter within 1 year of inoculation.
- Change low carbon, bacterial dominant soil into high carbon, fungal dominant soil to
- Decrease nitrogen fertilizer by 85% (thus decreasing N2O emission) while maintaining crop yield.
- Additional profit potential through carbon credit production and sale.
Founder/Chief Executive Officer
Ex Buddhist monk with an advanced Traditional Asian Medicine degree. Founded and ran a successful medical clinic for 24 years healing people and now laser focused on helping heal the Earth.
Chief Strategy Officer
Advanced Psychology degree. 25 years utilizing behavioural psychology as an expert in conflict resolution, communication, and interpersonal relationships in both a departmental leadership and private practice role. Spearheading Recovered Carbon’s Incentivized Stakeholder Engagement Program.
Chief Technology Officer
Physics and Engineering degree. 20 years engineering municipal, industrial and commercial solutions in the public and private sector. Scaling the technology through hard won experience.
Jacob Van Bortel Buckley
Chief Information Officer
University degree. Over 10 years as an information and data specialist solving B2B and B2G challenges. Creating Recovered Carbon’s soil carbon data collection framework and bioreactor monitoring systems.
About the Founder
Paul grew up in Westchester county, NY. He completed his bachelor’s degree in International Relations and Economics from Syracuse University’s Maxwell School in 1992. After completing his degree in Europe he decided to stay and continue his journey in Prague, Czechia where he worked as a journalist for the Prague Post and taught English.
He then travelled to Ubon Thailand, to a jungle monastery on the Cambodian border, to become a Buddhist monk. There, he began his formal meditation instruction as well as informal study of acupuncture, herbalism and Traditional Asian Medicine.
After leaving the monastery, Paul moved to Seattle Washington where he began his formal training in Traditional Asian Medicine at the Northwest Institute of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (now part of Bastyr University) and earned his master’s degree in Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine in 1996.
Leaving Seattle after graduation, Paul went back to New York state to found American Acupuncture Clinic. He developed the business into a well respected and active clinic for 23 years until the COVID19 Pandemic forced its closure in 2020.
Paul’s experience and passion for growing medicinal herbs led him to discover the work of scientists at the University of California Chico and New Mexico University. He quickly realized it offers far more than a low cost, scalable way to increase bio mass yield with fewer synthetic inputs. It offers something a warming planet facing climatic catastrophe desperately needs; a way to make the soil robustly capture carbon without reliance on huge funding streams or a forest based shell game.
As the European Union is leading the world in climate change initiatives and green technologies and Estonia is one of the EU’s hidden gems. It quickly became the obvious choice for both the company and Paul to call home. Recovered Carbon was founded as an Estonian company in 2020 and it is now the place he calls home.